Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Cherished Cafe Awakens From Ruins


My adventures on Route 66 in July all of a sudden had me on a quest for a simple and inexpensive diner that had been buried and forgotten for several decades. It was about 8:30 in the morning when I pulled onto the easy streets of Atlanta, Illinois. The downtown area is really friendly. There is even a painted smile on the water tower. Drivers would pass me on the streets nodding and waving withcheerful expressions. This cozy little settlement just oozes with that feeling of community. It’s just “southern” enough in Illinois to immediately recognize the “accent” and the “hospitality.” There’s plenty of interesting history here such as an old library that is being turned into a museum, a historic clock tower, a grain elevator from 1903 and a traditional mechanic shop that claims to be an “official” Route 66 mechanic. I also enjoyed several fascinating murals painted on the brick walls all around the town. What a fun place to be! As I pulled over to the side of the road, I looked back over my left shoulder and there it was. Palm’s Grill Café, right across from the giant statue of a Paul Bunyan holding a big ole hot dog. This place was once a flourishing stop along the classic route. The original café spent more than 34 years in the business, even serving as the Greyhound bus stop. But, when I-55 was constructed, a lot of things changed. Traffic bypassed Atlanta, the crowds faded and the grills ran out of heat. After the 1960’s, the café was vacated. Everything was in complete disrepair. It was a crumbling mess and bowing away from the foundation. Not anymore. It has now been fully restored and ready for customers. When I first got out of my car, I walked across the street and headed towards ‘The Grill,’ as the locals call it. I was greeted with waves and that motion to “come on in,” as I peaked in through the window. I couldn’t resist. A key feature that I noticed right away was the restored 30 foot long countertop. In the original café, a long slab of polished marble greeted customers as they pulled up to the stool. This one was a laminated marble pattern but it looked great and was a clever way to save money. The old cash register and phone, as well as a vintage refrigerator, were all there to make the cafe appear as it did during its 1930s heyday. There was even an old-fashioned radio plugged in behind the counter that only played oldies music. It was amazing how I felt like I took a step back in time. I was ready to experience the way it used to taste in an old café. As I hopped onto the chair, the waitress was quite enthusiastic to serve me. I ordered coffee and a short stack of pancakes. My breakfast was delicious. A few older couples were seated as well, just talking amongst themselves. I could tell they were local. I overheard lot of chatting about neighborhood happenings about “this person” and “the weather.” I of course, stood out with my camera and my notebook. I was an obvious tourist. “Can I get you anything else? We make our own pies here. We have peach, blueberry, banana cream and coconut cream. They’re very popular,” the waitress told me. Another favorite she recommended was the blue plate special, consisting of meat and two or three side dishes on a divided blue plate. I told her that I would be back another time and had to get going. Another remarkable feature I noticed on the way out of the building was the classic neon sign over the door, complete with Greyhound bus signage. After nearly four decades of sleep, this place was alive again. The spirit of the original Palm’s Grill Café was captured brilliantly. New life was breathed into Atlanta via the new café. The vibe at this revived diner is absolutely positive. I am thrilled that I stopped here on my Route 66 journey. I highly recommend that others do the same. You can’t argue with good food and good conversations, even ones that are overheard.

No comments:

Post a Comment