Friday, June 11, 2010

Long time gone


So I diappeared from the world of blogging for about 10 months now! I still write and I will continue to still write! I am getting married in a few months and I am suppose to have brain surgery soon! I have bizzare seizure sensations that occur a couple of times daily due to a lesion in my temporal lobe. I have a bum leg that I need to train harder with. I am suppose to participate in a bike ride tomorrow for MS victims but the weather is suppose to be extreme. I will get back on track with the writing. Here is a recent review I did on The Drowsy Chaperone:

If you want to see a tribute to old 1920’s musicals, this is the show for you! While it was light on plot, it was also quite heavy on the comedy. The Drowsy Chaperone was full of captivating rhythms and tons of up-tempo dance numbers. You will be humming several of the tunes at home for many days. This was a musical-inside-a comedy. What a spectacular performance that paid tribute to period pieces in the guise of a fake musical. The director kept everything moving well, with a phenomenal set design and energetic lighting too. The show was alive! It truly felt like a full-blown musical! What do I mean by this you might ask? Well let me tell you.
There’s this lonely guy, “the man in chair,” who is a shut-in basically. James Harms is hilarious and fascinating as the nameless narrator of the story. Essentially he hates theatre but loves musicals. He detests sitting in the dark and waiting for people to turn off their cell phones. Instead, the nameless man in the chair listens to his shows at home on his ancient record player. He is a true fan of musicals. The props above the stage have miniature musical posters and collectibles that reveal his passion. Overall, he is withdrawn and fantasizes when he gets out his vinyl records in order to escape the “blues” of his daily life. As spectators, we spend time in his apartment sympathizing with him and his infatuation. His favorite show, the fictional “Drowsy Chaperone,” is what he plays for the evening. He takes us through the entire double album from 1928. It literally comes to life in his apartment. Sometimes he stops the show to talk about the actors playing the parts or he’ll point out strange lyrics and absurd plot twists. Even the needle getting stuck in the groove of the old 78rpm is a witty moment as the whole cast get stuck in a five second loop.
Marriott’s in-the-round stage unquestionably enhances the intimacy and magic of this harmonious production. It is perhaps the finest show I have ever watched at the Marriott. There are big dance numbers that introduce all of the characters in their outrageous costumes. Speaking of dancing, there was a couple of amazing tap dancing routines that reminded me of Gene Kelly’s performance in Singin in the Rain. A show stealer, I felt, was a wacky Latin lover-type character named Aldolpho, played by Adam Pelty. He had great stage presence falling over, getting lost in his cape, messing up his hair and dropping his cane several times. Some of the other actors were actually spitting water at each other. It was a wild and thrilling ride. The spectators were completely drawn into this dreamy world created by a record player. The Jazz era and Vaudeville styles were nicely done. The Drowsy Chaperone is fresh and original but cleverly done in that 1920’s flashback style. I thought this was well written, ridiculous, remarkable and even affectionate. It was a true ode to musical theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment